Monday, September 07, 2009

Split Rock Lighthouse, Lake Superior

Going "Home"
Acrylic on Stretched Canvas
11 x 14

Split Rock Lighthouse on the Shores of Lake Superior. A bold, intense lake in a wild, untamed area. Superior can be boisterous, even to the point of violence. It can also be serene and somewhat introspective. But it is never, ever timid or soft spoken, never dull or colorless. It always makes its presence known. And it is timeless in its beauty and power.

My husband and I used to spend at least a part of every summer along the North Shore of Lake Superior, seeing the sights and painting the scenery. We would travel up Highway 61 (think I have that number right) all the way to Canada, sometimes venturing over the border. It was bliss. We haven't been able to travel for the past few years, but this summer we took a short sentimental journey to Duluth, and made it up to Split Rock for one afternoon. Not enough time to paint, but we took lots of photos. Going back was like going home, a feeling that this is where we belonged. I had the same feeling when I did this painting from the photos. The first touch of paintbrush to canvas literally took my breath away.

Of course, I have never traveled there at any time except summer. Winter would probably cool my enthusiasm, forgive the pun, but memories of the North Shore have carried me through some difficult times in the past, and the more time I spend there, the more I fall in love with it.

This is an acrylic on stretched canvas, 11 x 14. All edges have been painted and no staples show, so that it may be displayed either as is, or in the frame of your choice.

Click to view auction

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So beautiful...
vickie

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

Oh my..Mrs Larry, you are a wonderful artist..I have gone and viewed Larry's blog, when I noticed..you have a blog too.. how wonderful. You are creative artist, the animals are excellent.

dellartist said...

Thank you, Vickie and Jan. I love painting lighthouses, and animals too. Thanks for your most kind words!!