Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Light in the Darkness

 



The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness does not overcome it.

I love painting horses, especially big white horses. They cheer me up when I am down and I have had more than a few down days over the past couple of years. Most of us have. The world can seem very dark at times and it is difficult to see any way out.  But in times like these a phrase from a favorite song winds its way to the front of my mind. It is an oldie, was never a classic and I doubt that many people remember it.  It sounds so simple, but it is meaningful to me:  "Don't try to drive the darkness out, you just turn on the light."  Turning on the light is all it takes but it isn't always easy to find the light switch.  It is worth the effort. Even one dim little light is better than stumbling around in complete darkness.  For me, the light switch is to be working in my studio. It is my way of expressing gratitude to the Creator for the beauty and wonder of the world. It brings me joy and I like to think that He likes it too.

 

 Acrylic on Wrapped Canvas

It has been fun to be working in acrylics again. They are faster drying than oils, less messy than pastel, and lend themselves to  all sorts of techniques. I did this one using a glazing process along with scumbling and dry brush. That is pretty much my standard way of operating, but experimentation is what keeps work fresh and new. Even if the result isn't great it can be a learning experience. You learn what works by finding out what doesn't work.



 

Read More

No comments: