Tuesday, August 05, 2014

The Collector

Squirrel
The Collector
Pastel, 9 x 12

This little guy likes to hang out in the tree by the window in my studio.  Actually, lots of his friends hang out there as well. Maybe that is because my husband had built a squirrel feeder and attached it to the trunk.  The ear of corn it holds keeps them busy for a while, though occasionally they do have to stop and nap in the middle of a meal...



I enjoy watching them as go through their day, snacking on tidbits, chasing each other, teasing the dogs, and chattering incessantly. They remind of of the verse from Proverbs. "A merry heart does good like a medicine." Whether or not they have merry hearts may be up for discussion, as they do have tempers and squabbles often seem to break out among them, but they always bring a smile to my face. So it is medicine for me, at least.

This painting was done on a new (to me) pastel paper which I believe will become one of my favorites. It is UArt pastel paper, and is available in several different  grades from very fine to very rough. Actually it feels similar to sandpaper but is acid free for artists' use. I use their 500 grade, which is considered medium fine. It grips the pastels just like Wallis paper but the finer grade makes it easier to show detail. And those of you familiar with my work know how I love detail!  I didn't like that it came in only one color, a light buff, but you can use watercolor to tint or underpaint, which some artists prefer to do anyway. Of course, I will always love Canson, my old standby but every now and then it is a good thing to have some variety in life.

This and other paintings are available for sale through my online gallery, The Creative Spirit Gallery.
I have not been posting regularly for some time, but am hoping to remedy that. Thanks for your patience and understanding and thanks for stopping by!  Hope to see you again soon.

No comments: