Saturday, December 29, 2012

A Pug Named Lily Commissioned Dog Portrait

Lily
Commissioned Pastel Portrait
8 x 10

Some faces are just irresistible.  I have done several pug portraits and, while they are individuals with their own special characteristics, they all seem to have this same soulful expression that makes you want to pick them up and cuddle them.  I love everything about her, especially her name.  Doesn't she look just like a "Lily?"  This portrait was commissioned by a special lady who had both her grandpuppies' portraits done for Christmas.  The other is the Yorkshire Terrier which appears in a previous post.  We also have grandpuppies.  Even though they live very far away, we enjoy lots of photos and this year even received a calendar filled with their pictures, What fun!

Painting portraits of different breeds and mixes of dogs is a great way for me to get to know them. Their eyes speak volumes to me and they teach me a lot, not only about dogs but about life and love.  They seem to know things intuitively that would take us several lifetimes to learn. They are a tremendous source of love and affection, they teach you trust and forgiveness and they make you laugh, even when there is little to laugh about.  Of course, I would love to have one of each breed, but for me this is the next best thing.

I hope your new year is filled with love and laughter - and if there is not enough of that in your life,  find yourself a canine friend.   If you can't adopt one yourself right now, make friends with a grandpuppy or a  friend's dog.  Your life will take on new meaning.   I know mine has.



No comments: