Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Little Burro Donkey Oil Painting by Della Burgus


This sweet little donkey was in a children's petting zoo and I just fell in love.  Such a sweet and unassuming creature!   Donkeys are among my favorite animals and God must like them, too, because they appear often in Scriptures.  Don't you just love the irony of Balaam and his donkey - how the animal spoke the words of the Lord, while the rebellious prophet tried to do things his own way?  And the equally ironic sight of the King of Kings riding into Jerusalem on a "beast of burden" rather than a mighty war horse.  It is a reminder that God can use even the most unlikely creature if its heart is humble and willing to serve.

This is an oil painting on 9 x 12 stretched canvas. All the edges are painted and no staples are showing. It is available through Daily Painters, Art Helping Animals and the Chisholm Trail.  I will also list it on Etsy. 10% of the sale will be donated to True Blue Animal Rescue and 10% to Children's Cup International Relief. This painting is SOLD,

Looky Looky What I Got!

For years I have been trying to find a way to safely store my finished work, especially my pastels. so they won't get smudged, smeared or torn.  I have been keeping them in folders stacked against the wall in my studio, and so far so good, but it isn't an idea situation.  I found this lovely display case at The Art Store, my local art supply shop, for only $5!!!!  It is laminate-covered pressed board and the shelves are removable and adjustable.  Many, many shelves, probably more than I will ever be able to fill,  Perhaps I could build something else with the leftovers????  The store sold off some of its display furniture in order to fit into a smaller space.  I was sorry to hear they have to downsize, but glad they intend to stay in business, and very glad to be able to take this off their hands. My husband agreed that he couldn't build anything like this for the price.  Probably it would cost more than that for just one shelf. I am thrilled!



My husband and I have been trying to find ways to use our studio space more efficiently now that we decided to close the frame shop.  It was good for us for a while, brought people into our gallery who otherwise would never have come - and so we sold paintings to people who otherwise would never have purchased original art. But now  its time has passed and we need to move on.  Supplies and materials have just become too difficult to find and too expensive to purchase.   We put up a "Frame Shop Closed" sign in effect Oct. 1, and though we are still finishing some projects, we will not take in any more orders.  The frame shop will at last become the studio/gallery we originally planned so many years ago.  Which means more time for creativity and also  a smaller counter, less storage place for mats and glass and more room for us to work.  And my new paper storage fits perfectly with our new artistic lifestyle....

6 comments:

martinealison said...

Les ânes ont dans les yeux ce regard qui ne trahit pas leur âme, doux et gentil... belle peinture.
Bravo pour votre ingénieux achat.

Vernita Hoyt said...

Della, what a great find for the pastel paper storage!

I love your painting of the little donkey, but the story you tell is priceless. Keep up the good work, and now that you have closed the frame shop ... I look forward to seeing lots and lots of your new paintings.

Lee said...

I have a pile of pictures I took of a donkey ... to paint... but yours is so sweet! God bless whatever you and your husband put your hands to do!
Lee

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Perfection, as always...Your paintings are so much BETTER than photography...richer, more vibrant, and this is so real I could reach out and pat him on the head...stroke his nose!! I LOVE it!!! And that storage unit? Fantastic!!!! I'm going to redesign a room as a studio in my home in the next nine months...and this is simply a brilliant idea!!!! Thank you!!! Love you!!! Janine XO

Vicki said...

Donkeys are one of my very favorite animals. They are so humble, so small and yet so strong. I recently read an article in the Smithsonian Magazine about how donkeys are used in Morocco to carry anything and everything! The writer said one little donkey that only came up to her waist was carrying six TV sets strapped to its back. Hard life these little donkeys have. They are never even given a name since they are considered to be equipment...like a cart or wheelbarrow! So very sad!
Your precious little donkey has the sweetest face. I love it!!
What a great find in that storage unit and at that price!! The storage units that are designed for the purpose of storing flat art work are so expensive. What a blessing for you to find this one!
Congratulations on your being able to finally have your studio and gallery! Another blessing! So very happy for you!
♥ Vicki

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Just stopping by to say "hello!" I hope your week has been wonderful!!! I thank God for such a fantastic friend as you!! Love you, Janine XO