Monday, March 15, 2010

American Lop Eared Bunny, The Velveteen Rabbit

Velveteen Rabbit
When I Look in Your Eyes
Another in the series "When I Look in Your Eyes," inspired by the song from the Dr. Doolittle musical.  I saw this little guy at the Iowa State Fair last summer and thought him so sweet and friendly. He posed for several photos, and of course I found myself wishing I could take him home.  But, alas, I must be content to love him from afar, because our menagerie has already gotten out of hand. Anyway, I loved his bright, inquisitive eyes and sweet expression. He reminded me of the hero in one of my favorite children's books, The Velveteen Rabbit. It is the story of Rabbit, the stuffed toy who wants with all his heart to become Real. In the end he discovers that the only way to be Real is to be loved.  If you have never read the story, or if it has been a while, click on this link: The Velveteen Rabbit to read it.  It is very short and very sweet, just like our little friend here. And it may bring tears to your eyes, just as painting this picture did to mine. But they are good tears.

This painting will be listed on Tuesday, March 16 on Daily Painters and on Art Helping Animals. 20% of the sale will be donated to Rimrock Humane Society. Perhaps you are feeling alone and unloved, and maybe you are wondering if you are Real. If so, you might consider adopting a pet.  Taking care of another is a big commitment of time and energy, but it is also a good way to combat loneliness and find someone to love.
If you have any questions about this or other paintings,  or just want to chat, send me an email
Email Della

No comments: