Wednesday, October 07, 2009

White Standard Poodle

AKC Show Part 3

Poodles have always been among my favorite people. Intelligent and sensitive, with a highly developed sense of humor, just a tad stubborn, but at the same time desiring to please. They are loving, loyal and energetic. I happen to share my life with a white Toy Poodle named Button, but have known many different Poodles in many different colors and sizes - from teacup to standard, and they all share these characteristics.

This painting was done from a photo taken at the Des Moines AKC show. The handsome young subject was awaiting the "novice obedience trials." His person told me he had been a rescue dog, and had been nervous and fearful. She wasn't expecting a "win" but thought the trials would be good for his confidence. He was a delightful dog, friendly and very devoted to his person, and I wished them both well.

The event was simple: after performing a few exercises, the dogs would be told to "stay" and their owners would walk to the other end of the ring. A cute little dachshund followed his mommy as soon as she turned to walk away. A gorgeous young Burmese Mountain Dog got tired of waiting and went to his person after a few minutes. All the other dogs did as they were told.

And in the end, my elegant new friend went home with the prize.

The real winner, however, was the lucky lady who had found this wonderful dog, and had the kindness and patience to open her home and work with him. Now she has a devoted friend and he has a forever home.

This painting has been SOLD


Standard Poodle
Pastel, 9.5 x 12.5
Matted, ready to frame




By the way, I don't want to show favoritism. I also share my life with a tan and white Border Collie named Barney. I will tell you about him in a later blog!

No comments: