Saturday, July 18, 2009

The North Shore - A Sentimental Journey

I have been away. Did you miss me? Larry, Button and I took a quick trip to Duluth. Barney stayed at Whimsy Park with Vicky and all the dogs, so he had his own vacation. She is a very nice lady and he likes her a lot.


We used to spend hours along the North Shore of Lake Superior, painting pictures and enjoying the peace and serenity of the place, but haven't been able to visit for a few years. This was a sort of sentimental journey for us, remembering those good times, taking pictures, and making plans to return and STAY LONGER! Next time we will make time to sit along the shore and paint, if only for an afternoon. There is a timelessness about the lake that takes me to a place of peace and tranquility. It was there long before I was born, and hopefully will still be here long after I am gone. It is easier for me to experience God's presence here, away from all the stress and busyness of everyday life.




Split Rock is one of my favorite places in the world. I love the birch trees, the wildlife, the flowers and, of course, the lighthouse. I have painted that lighthouse so many times, I could probably do it in my sleep. As a matter of fact, I did dream about it last night, but woke up before finishing the painting!




There is a lovely rose garden in Duluth that seems like a corner of Heaven. Lief Erickson Park, but I probably messed up the spelling. Anyway, it is close to the lakeshore and right on top of the freeway. If you get there at the right time of day, it is pretty quiet also.
All of these photos and more will probably be used to create paintings of my "Sentimental Journey," so look for them in future blogs.



No comments: