Monday, June 29, 2009

Buddies Dog Portrait by Della Burgus

Buds
Sold
This is a commissioned portrait of two dogs who obviously enjoy life and each other. It was taken from a photo, and I had to make a few little adjustments in order to get a good composition. There is a difference between commissioned portraits and my regular work. A great likeness is the major element in a portrait, but the goal is a little different in my regular work. While it is important to portray the special qualities of the breed, the painting is more about composition, lighting, design and color. Of course, the "spirit" of the subject is always crucial. I love painting portraits of people and/or their pets, even though it is quite exacting and somewhat tense for me. But the rewards are well worth the effort - nearly always joy and a little laughter, sometimes tears and hugs. What really matters is that I "got them" and created something that will be treasured for years to come.
While there is much more freedom in my regular work, it seldom evokes the same reaction. Unless, of course it reminds someone of a loved one, either two or four-legged!

With the slow economy, I hope you will remember the needs of all our furry and feathered friends. A portion of the sale of this painting will be donated to Old Dog Haven. It is a great organization, so if you get a chance, click on the link below and check out their work. And, hug your best buds today, whether two- or four-legged!

Old Dog Haven

No comments: