Friday, March 06, 2009

Dinner Plate Hibiscus

This is a dinner plate hibiscus, so named because of the size of the flower. It grows behind the garden shed and always makes me think of exotic places I will never see.Every summer I take its picture , even though it doesn't change much, and every winter I paint it to remind me that it won't snow forever. This is my first in pastel, the others were in oil. If you think you see a Georgia O'Keefe influence here, you are right. There was a time I spent a lot of time doing large canvases of flowers like this, but I have moved on. Now I am revisiting my past passions, because life is a cycle and it is time to paint flowers again. Soon I will be painting landscapes and seascapes, perhaps even portraits. Whenever I rummage through my old photos I get nostalgic for something or other. This flower always says "Summer" to me, and I love the summer. However, the huge canvases with larger than life paintings of just one bloom are a thing of the past. With the shrinking economy it no longer seems practical. So instead, a 9 x 12 pastel, almost life-size.


Pastel on Wallis Sanded Paper
9 x 12
Mounted on foam core, with a double mat
Matted size 14 x 18

$65
20% will be donated to
Turtle Ridge Wildlife Center

To purchase email the artist
Email Della


No comments: