Friday, February 16, 2007

Work in Progress

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I was looking through one one my portfolios and discovered a drawing done in white charcoal pencil on Indigo Canson Paper. I began the work some time ago, but for one reason or another, never took it past the initial drawing. Seeing it today revived the vision. So I began modeling the horse and laying in color. The blues and lavendars make up the colors of dreams, the dreams of wild freedom. Of course it has a long way to go and I am not sure I like the composition, but I love the energy, the freedom, the colors and I hope I can carry out the dream. Fortunately pastel is a medium that CAN be changed and corrected. If it works, I will show you the final product. If it doesn't we will forget I said any of this, right?



This would probably be a good place to confess that every painting does not always work out the way I plan. And sometimes I DON'T plan. At least not enough. Sometimes the spontaneous ones turn out to be my most successful. And sometimes they turn into total disasters. This would also be a good time to tell you that sometimes the experience of painting is more important than the finished product. But sometimes the whole experience is nothing but pain. Still, I would rather be doing this than anything else in the world. And as long as there is beauty in the world, especially in the form of cats, dogs, horses, wildlife and flowers, I will continue to paint them, not because I want to but because I have to.

No comments: