Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Winter Blues

I heard on the news that yesterday, January 22, was the most depressing day of the year. Scientists had actually taken time out from their busy days, doing whatever it is they do (that wasn't a slam, I know they do some very important stuff, I just don't have a clue what it might be) anyway that they had taken the time to calculate this, factoring in the weather, post holiday letdown and bills coming due. It is comforting to know that we have no way to go but "up" from here. Of course, this raises a lot of questions, such as who paid for this study, how much did it cost. The answer to those questions would probably make us all blue, and where did the term "blue" come from anyway. I think I have probably heard the answer to that before but long since forgotten it. My sister would know but since she is not a computer person, she will never see this blog. And that is good, because I am sure she would correct my grammar.

I wonder what it really is that makes us blue. More importantly, what makes us happy? What is the opposite of blue? Pink? Magenta? Orange. Of course, the color complement.

What makes you happy?

It makes me happy to be surrounded by dogs and cats, or dogs or cats, depending on the dogs and cats. Of course I love horses, too and chipmunks and birds and lions, tigers and bears, as long as they don't get too close. I love to have a whole day for painting which brings me to the real reason for this post. If you have noticed I haven't been showing much art here lately, it is because I don't have much to show at this point. I have been working on a large commissioned portrait of a family of eight, which can not be finished in an afternoon or so. I have taken time out for other work, but all I have to show for it are several unfinished canvases and one poor, pitiful pastel that I can use to teach people how NOT to paint.

What makes you blue?

Oh, my, I don't think I want to go into that list. Just thinking about it will depress me.
Besides, doesn't the Bible say, "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

Now that is food for thought.

No comments: